Avvo Rating Badge
State Bar of Texas

What Happens if You Don’t Pay Child Support?

Jerry W. Tidwell, Jr.
What Happens If You Don't Pay Child Support?

Non-custodial parents are typically ordered to pay child support to their ex. The amount they are required to pay each month will vary based on several factors, with one of the most important being their monthly net income.

The court will determine the amount to pay and issue an order confirming this. The only way this amount can be altered is through another court order.

If you are not current on paying the court-ordered child support, you need to speak with a knowledgeable Texas child support attorney.

What Happens if You Don’t Pay Child Support?

Failure to pay court ordered child support can result in serious legal consequences. The court can issue an order that will allow your paycheck to be garnished. This means the money would be taken out of your check before you are even paid. What if you are expecting a federal tax return or recently won the lottery? The court can make an order regarding those as well.

Other consequences can include a suspended or revocation of various licenses, including your driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, business license, concealed handgun license, or even a fishing/hunting license. If you owe back child support in Texas, the court could order a lien to be placed on your property. Property can be defined as more than just real estate, it can include bank accounts, cars, retirement plans, etc.

Can You Go to Jail for Not Paying Child Support?

It does not happen with every case, but yes, non-payment could result in the judge ordering jail time. One common way this happens is in a situation where the offender is willfully and intentionally not paying child support despite having the funds and financial means to do so. The judge may find you in contempt of court, which can carry a maximum sentence of up to six months.

Texas child support laws, including Texas Penal Code 25.05, make it a state jail felony to knowingly or intentionally fail to pay court-ordered child support for your children under 18 years of age. It’s typically called “criminal nonsupport,” and it can be punishable up to six months to two years in a Texas jail as well as a fine of up to $10,000.

In situations where you can’t pay the entire amount you were ordered to pay, it’s imperative to pay whatever you can. This shows the courts that you are willing and intend to pay the amount. That will reduce the risk of being sentenced to jail time.

Back Child Support in Texas Doesn’t Go Away

If you have past due child support, it does not ever go away. In fact, the amount will get bigger since the state attaches interest to unpaid child support amounts. Texas has the right to pursue unpaid child support, even if the child has since become an adult.

Contact a Texas Child Support Attorney

If you are not paying child support as ordered by the court, it’s best to speak with a family law attorney who can assist you with the arrangement of payment of back child support in Texas. Contact our child custody attorneys at Tidwell Law Firm, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.

Client Reviews

I needed legal advice for a child custody dispute and had spoken with a few lawyers in order to gauge expenses and commitment requirements for legal action. Most of the lawyers I spoke with heard my situation...

William C.

I used Jerry Tidwell as the representing lawyer for two family law cases: my divorce and subsequent modification to child possession schedule. In each situation, Jerry took the time to listen to my concerns...

Karl Y.

Having to deal with the complex world of criminal cases, you will need the best legal representation on your side. Attorney Jerry Tidwell Jr. is that lawyer who knows his craft and always on the side of truth...

Joseph B.

Jerry has been amazing to work with and fights for you in every legal way possible while being completely open and honest throughout the entire process. I highly recommend Jerry for any legal matter you may...

Charles J.

When I found myself in need of a lawyer, I was referred to Jerry Tidwell. I am grateful for his help and expertise. After deciding to take my case to jury trial, the DA decided to make a deal, and anything...


Mr. Tidwell was reliable and well informed. He was just the individual that I needed in my time of legal need. I would refer him without a doubt and would utilize his services again in the future.


I hired Mr. Tidwell on a Tuesday evening. By Thursday, we had a final order and the case was settled. Mr. Tidwell was efficient, extremely communicative, and able to get us the exact result we had hoped for...

Candice H.

I was recommended to seek legal counsel from Jerry W. Tidwell, Jr. when I found myself accused of a crime I did not commit. Jerry helped me through the full process of my Criminal Defense from the early stages...

Dave **

They were awesome and very caring during my divorce. Very knowledgeable on all the laws. I have referred this firm to several people. My attorney was a bull dog!

Denise T

This lawyer is very thorough and knowledgeable about the law. He helped us rescue our grandchild from a very abusive home, and gave this child a much happier life. As God must’ve chose him to deliver children...

Flo S

Thank you for helping me to get through my divorce case — your wide range of expertise and representation was indispensable during this difficult time and I can’t thank you enough for your work ethic and most...


When Mary called me from [the] law firm I was pensive. She immediately settled me and knew why I was calling and provided sincere empathy. My current situation is quite dire but she assured me the attorneys can...

John E

Jerry gave me excellent legal representation. He is very knowledgeable, attentive and answered all my questions. I highly recommend him! I would give 10 🌟 if I could

Jordan B.

[The law firm] was recommended to me by several people in the area. I hired ... Jerry Tidwell has been my family lawyer. He has been available, honest and helpful. Nobody wants to be in the position to hire a...

Katie O

Mr. Tidwell is an exceptional attorney. He is prompt in his response time, knowledgeable, and compassionate. Mr. Tidwell outlined all options & their pros and cons. Highly recommend!

Katie P

I’m not sure if I can find the words to express how thankful we are to Mr. Tidwell for resolving our custody case. He goes above and beyond and never sugar coats things. If you’re looking for a custody lawyer...

Kristina B.

At first with [the other law firm], I started off, pretty bumpy and very slow. [Wound] up going through ... different lawyers and finally ended up with Jerry Tidwell. Once Tidwell took over [the] case...

Natisha M

I really can’t say enough of how much I appreciate Jerry and how he handled my case. The situation I was put in felt impossible but Jerry got everything taken care of and gave me the best outcome I could have...

Nick S.

We are forever grateful for all of the hard work Jerry and Mary put into our case. They communicated with us every step of the way and got our case closed with the BEST outcome in record time.

Jennifer K

This firm specifically Sarah Blackstock did exceptional work on my behalf. Her responsiveness is beyond exceptional.

Tim T

Mrs. Lanski was very kind, polite, and professional. She really made me feel welcome and that the team had my back. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication.

Melissa O

After 11+ years of fighting a battle I didn't think I could ever win, Sarah was able to change my mind. She was very considerate of all feelings involved, and found the best solution for everyone. Definitely...

Mary L

I had a wonderful consultation with this firm. Jerry and Mary were extremely helpful guiding me in the right direction. They are very professional, polite and knowledgeable. I’d recommend using them for your...

Nicole M

Mary Lanski is a real asset ... [s]he is attentive, courteous and very responsive. Out of 10, I would give her a 10+

Julia K

Phenomenal service. From the moment they picked up the phone call until the moment we disconnected it was top notch. Would definitely recommend.

J (Anonymous)

This guy has great reviews. He is going to help me resolve a problem I had on a case 16 years ago that I paid him for. Awesome guy!

Jonathan M

A well versed and trusting attorney! Mr. Tidwell was reliable and well informed. He was just the individual that i needed in my time of legal need. I would refer him without a doubt and likewise myself would...


When I found myself in need of a lawyer, I was referred to Jerry Tidwell. I am grateful for his help and expertise and I road the wave of the legal system. After deciding to take my case to jury trial, the DA...


Great guy to have in your corner I hired Mr Tidwell to assist me with some family law issues. From the first meeting I had a good feeling about him. His no nonsense, straight shooting ways are something to be...


Worth it! Mr. Tidewell viewed my case and warned me of potential holes in my own legal strategy that I had overlooked. He was open and honest with his intent and execution. Stellar performance; was aggressive...


Aggressive, Knowledgeable, and Trustworthy I consulted with and hired Jerry Tidwell to represent me on a child custody modification case back in February of this year. He was respectful of my perspective, and...

Mallory E
Fill out the contact form or call us at 972-234-8208 to
schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message

5151 Headquarters Drive
Ste 205

Plano, TX 75024